Monday, January 17, 2011

Nursery: "Chester Drawers"

Before anyone comes to the conclusion that I'm totally illiterate, let me just say that I know it's "chest of drawers" not "Chester Drawers", which is saying more that quite a few of the folks selling dressers on Craigslist! However, this post is not about grammatical errors on Craigslist or someone named Chester. With our sweet baby girls arrival only 13 weeks away, I have been spending some time getting started on her nursery. A few weeks ago, I noticed a dresser on the side of the road right around the corner. I had been planning finding a cheap dresser that I could fix up and paint to use as a changing table, and it doesn't get much cheaper than free!


The nursery walls are aqua blue, so I am using lots of pink accessories, including the changing table, to make it girly! The dresser was in pretty good shape, so I just removed the handles, sanded, primed and painted it. (The color is Behr's Strawberry Freeze.) I finished it off with a coat of polyurethane. It is a changing table, after all, so I'm sure the wipe-ability will come in handy!

(after 2 coats of primer)
(after a coat of pink)

Then I just added new knobs (with her sweet initials!) and some pretty pink handles (knobs from Hobby Lobby; handles from Target).

The handles proved to be more of a challenge than I would have like because the dresser's holes were pre-drilled for handles with 4 inch centers, and most standard handles come with 3 inch centers. I just drilled new holes, and didn't bother filling in the new ones because they are covered by the handles.

(close-up of the handles)


Finally, I wanted to add one last detail. I lined the drawers with some cute patterned fabric. I just cut the fabric to size and used a thin layer of fabric glue to stick the fabric to the inside of the drawers. (Idea courtesy of John and Sherry over at Young House Love. LOVE THEM!)






So pretty and cheap! I will have more nursery updates coming soon so keep checking in!

2 comments:

  1. I've got the best wife in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me sick sara parham! Aka... I'm jealous of your skill. This is adorable! You mentioned her initials... are you guys telling the name or did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete